Call Number: HABS WVA,19-HARF,26-

From West Virginia GeoExplorer Project
Jump to: navigation, search
Call Number: HABS WVA,19-HARF,26- by Chamberlain, Holly K.
Bibliography
Title

Call Number: HABS WVA,19-HARF,26-

Article

Call Number: HABS WVA,19-HARF,26-

Author

Chamberlain, Holly K.

Date

05/05/1987

Medium

Papers

Publisher
Harpers Ferry, WV 5/5/1987
Found Location

Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540

Geertsema Number

HF605

Topics Architecture
Source

Historic American Buildings Survey/Historic American Engineering Record/Historic American Landscapes Survey

Media

View PDF

Caption

HISTORIC AMERICAN BUILDINGS SURVEY. HOUSE (BUILDING 20) HABS No. WV-164 (demolished 1958)


House (Building 20) HABS No. WV-164

Shenaridoah Street

Harpers Ferry National Historical Park

Harpers Ferry

Jefferson County

West Virginia

HABS No. WV-164

WRITTEN HISTORICAL AND DESCRIPTIVE DATA
Historic American Buildings Survey
National Park Service
Department of the Interior
Washington, DC 20013-7127




HISTORIC AMERICAN BUILDINGS SURVEY


HOUSE (BUILDING 20) HABS No. WV-164 Location: Block A., Lots 5 and 6, south of Shenandoah Street, south end of Arsenal Square facing the B & O Railroad, Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, West Virginia

Present Use: Demolished 1958

Significance: Example of a building which was demolished because it did not fit into the National Park Service's plans for interpreting Harpers Ferry National Historical Park for the time frame of 1859 -1865 .

The exact date of construction of this building is not known. It was definitely built after 1879 and it appears in a circa 1887 -1892 photograph. The lot was sold to John L. Walsh by the United States in 1869 for $2,025.00. The price was abated to $300.00 since Walsh stated that he had spent $282.21 making improvements on Lot 6. This amount represented one-half the cost of erecting the brick side wall of a house on Lot 7, Block A, so that he could use this as a side wall for the brick house that he planned to build on Lot 6. Walsh also claimed that he had used Lot 6 as a garden from 1876 to 1878 . Walsh' widow, Julia, received the deed for the lot from the federal government in November 1879 . Ownership of the land from 1879 until National Park Service acquisition in the early 1950s is not known. Documentation indicates that the building was used as a residence in 1894 .

Sources for this information were correspondence dated April 23, 1987 from Dennis E. Frye, Historian, Harpers Ferry National Historical Park, and a photocopy of a typescript by Charles W. Snell entitled A Comprehensive Physical History of Old Arsenal Square, U.S. Armory at Harpers Ferry, Virginia, 1751 to 1880 , dated May 1981 .

This project was financed from funds of the "Mission 66" program of the National Park Service. The measurements were done July 1958 under the supervision of resident architect A. ¥. Fransen, National Park Service, and Professor F. Blair Reeves, University of Florida.

Prepared and transmitted by: Holly K. Chamberlain, Historian

Historic American Buildings Survey

May 5, 1987