House (Building 20) HABS No. WV-164, WRITTEN HISTORICAL AND DESCRIPTIVE DATA. Shenaridoah Street, Harpers Ferry National Historical Park, Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, West Virginia, 5/5/1987

From West Virginia GeoExplorer Project
Jump to: navigation, search
HABSWVA_9_HARF_26 by Chamberlain, Holly K.
Bibliography
Title

House (Building 20) HABS No. WV-164, WRITTEN HISTORICAL AND DESCRIPTIVE DATA. Shenaridoah Street, Harpers Ferry National Historical Park, Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, West Virginia, 5/5/1987

Article

HABSWVA_9_HARF_26

Author

Chamberlain, Holly K.

Date

05/05/1987

Medium

Papers

Publisher
Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, West Virginia 5/5/1987
Found Location

Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540

Geertsema Number

HF605

Topics Architecture
Source

Historic American Buildings Survey/Historic American Engineering Record/Historic American Landscapes Survey

Media

View Document

Caption

House (Building 20) HABS No. WV-164, WRITTEN HISTORICAL AND DESCRIPTIVE DATA. Shenaridoah Street, Harpers Ferry National Historical Park, Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, West Virginia, 5/5/1987


House (Building 20) HABS No. WV-164, WRITTEN HISTORICAL AND DESCRIPTIVE DATA. Shenaridoah Street, Harpers Ferry National Historical Park, Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, West Virginia, 5/5/1987

House (Building 20) HABS No. WV-164

Shenaridoah Street

Harpers Ferry National Historical Park

Harpers Ferry

Jefferson County

West Virginia

WRITTEN HISTORICAL AND DESCRIPTIVE DATA
Historic American Buildings Survey
National Park Service
Department of the Interior
Washington, DC 20013-7127

HISTORIC AMERICAN BUILDINGS SURVEY


HOUSE (BUILDING 20) HABS No. WV-164

Location: Block A., Lots 5 and 6, south of Shenandoah Street, south end of Arsenal Square facing the B & O Railroad, Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, West Virginia

Present Use: Demolished 1958

Significance: Example of a building which was demolished because it did not fit into the National Park Service's plans for interpreting Harpers Ferry National Historical Park for the time frame of 1859 -1865 .

The exact date of construction of this building is not known. It was definitely built after 1879 and it appears in a circa 1887 -1892 photograph. The lot was sold to John L. Walsh by the United States in 1869 for $2,025.00. The price was abated to $300.00 since Walsh stated that he had spent $282.21 making improvements on Lot 6. This amount represented one-half the cost of erecting the brick side wall of a house on Lot 7, Block A, so that he could use this as a side wall for the brick house that he planned to build on Lot 6. Walsh also claimed that he had used Lot 6 as a garden from 1876 to 1878 . Walsh' widow, Julia, received the deed for the lot from the federal government in November 1879 . Ownership of the land from 1879 until National Park Service acquisition in the early 1950s is not known. Documentation indicates that the building was used as a residence in 1894 .

Sources for this information were correspondence dated April 23, 1987 from Dennis E. Frye, Historian, Harpers Ferry National Historical Park, and a photocopy of a typescript by Charles W. Snell entitled A Comprehensive Physical History of Old Arsenal Square, U.S. Armory at Harpers Ferry, Virginia, 1751 to 1880, dated May 1981 .

This project was financed from funds of the "Mission 66" program of the National Park Service. The measurements were done July 1958 under the supervision of resident architect A. ¥. Fransen, National Park Service, and Professor F. Blair Reeves, University of Florida.

Prepared and transmitted by: Holly K. Chamberlain, Historian

Historic American Buildings Survey

May 5, 1987